"Two of the most important factors for a happy and productive graduate student experience include the student's fit with their potential advisor, and the physical location of where they will be spending the next 5+ years. Other factors are malleable, but these are usually fixed, and incredibly important!"
--Advice from a current PhD student
Applying to graduate school can be both an exciting and a frustrating experience. In the Oceans Department, we are committed to making the application process both transparent and inclusive. Our graduate students have compiled this guide to address frequently asked questions. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact: Sabrina Daley (email@example.com), Joy Kumagai (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Alexandra DiGiacomo (email@example.com)
Oceans Admissions Information Sessions
We will be offering information sessions with a panel of graduate students and faculty in the Oceans departments in the early fall of 2024 for the 24-25 admission cycle. Check back in late summer for specific dates and registration instructions.
Additional Resources from the Doerr School of Sustainability's DEI Office
At DEI, we also offer strategies and tips for applying to graduate school. Prepare the best application package for graduate school by checking out these resources below on timelines, personal statements, and fee waivers. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to receive more specific advice regarding your application. While gaining admission to graduate school may be competitive, you can increase your chances through the right preparation.
- Graduate Application Timeline
- Graduate School Application Guide
- Behind the Curtain: Presentation on Applying to Grad School
- Writing a Strong Personal Statement
- Writing a Diversity Statement, UC San Diego
- Apply for an Application Fee Waiver
- Graduate Diversity at Stanford
- Apply to the Knight-Hennessy Scholars program
- Looking inside a program: Questions to ask a potential advisor and a graduate student, University of Michigan
- What is Holistics Admissions?, ETS